2 (2-1/2- to 3-lb.) whole chickens
4 cloves minced garlic
2 tbls. fresh lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tbl. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
4 bricks, wrapped in foil, for grilling chicken
1. Rinse the whole chickens and pat dry. Using a sharp knife, butterfly the chicken by cutting through the breast bone. Trim off any excess fat.
2. Place the whole chicken into a large freezer bag and set it aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and whisk until all is well-combined.
4. Pour the marinade over the chickens and seal the bag. Place the chicken into the refrigerator and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the grill on a high heat, and wrap four bricks with aluminum foil.
6. Remove the chickens from the marinade and blot them dry.
7. Place the chickens on the grill, skin side down. Place the bricks, one on either side, on top the chickens to weigh them down. Reduce the heat to medium. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes.
8. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the bricks and flip the chickens over. Place the bricks back on top of the chickens and grill for an additional 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Remove the chickens from the grill and place on a platter. Cover the chickens loosely with aluminum foil and allow them to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Kitchen Helpers: This is a fun recipe that the kids will enjoy helping out with. Have them wrap the bricks in aluminum foil and help whisk the marinade. Make sure to never leave a grill unattended. The skin on the chicken can cause the flame to flare up so you will need to be near to adjust it.