Spicy Ginger Wings
Makes 24 pieces. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
24 chicken drumettes
¼ cup vegetable oil (canola or Wesson)
3 tbls. soy sauce
3 tbls. honey
½ cup hoisin sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
Juice and zest of 1 orange
1½ to 2 tbls. finely minced fresh ginger
1 tbl. mustard
Generous pinch of black pepper
Salt, optional (Hoisin sauce and soy sauce are salty so add salt sparingly or omit)
Small squeeze of Taste #5 Umami Paste, optional
Chopped green onions, optional
1. Rinse and pat chicken drumettes dry with paper towel. Set aside while preparing marinade.
2. In gallon-size, plastic resealable bag, combine vegetable oil, soy sauce, honey, hoisin sauce, garlic, orange juice and zest, ginger, mustard and black pepper.
3. Add salt if desired along with a squeeze of umami paste. Seal bag and shake or squeeze to mix all ingredients. Add chicken to marinade. Close bag and allow to marinate (turning occasionally), three to five hours or overnight.
4. While chicken is marinating, cover a baking pan with foil and place a wire baking rack in the pan that will hold the chicken off the bottom of the pan; set aside.
3. When ready to cook, drain chicken but reserve the marinade for basting. Place chicken on rack in baking pan then bake in preheated 375-degeree oven for about 20 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees then baste chicken with reserved ginger marinade and bake an additional 20 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
4. Sprinkle hot chicken with chopped green onions if desired. Serve hot.