Yields 1 (9-inch) pie crust.
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1. Sift flour and salt together. Cut in shortening with pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over part of the mixture.
3. Gently toss with fork and push to the side of the bowl. Repeat until all is moistened, and you can form the dough into a ball with hands.
4. Place the dough on floured surface. Sprinkle a bit more flour over the top and flatten it out by pressing the dough with the edge of your hand 3 times across the dough in both directions.
5. Flour rolling pin and roll from center toward edge until about 1/8 -inch thick.
6. Place in pie pan and prick with fork. Bake at 400 degrees until lightly browned. Cool before filling.
Kitchen Helpers: If your kids are young, let them help cut the shortening in with the flour. They can even use their fingers, which they’ll enjoy. Older kids can do it all by themselves.