Smoked Sausage Pasta Carbonara
Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound smoked sausage
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup white wine
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
12 ounces pasta, spaghetti or other shape
3 large eggs
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
Freshly ground pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the sausage, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes.
2. Pour in the wine. Stir in the rosemary and parsley. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Boil the pasta until al dente (slightly tender). Reserve ¼ cup pasta water, then drain the rest.
4. Add the pasta and reserved pasta cooking water to the sausage and toss over medium heat.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
6. Turn the heat off the sausage and pasta and slowly pour in the egg mixture stirring quickly. The low heat of the pasta and sausage should cook the egg mixture to a light sauce.
7. Serve warm topped with more Parmesan and parsley.