Seafood Stuffed Mirlitons
Recipe is by Michelle Bienvenu for Junior League of Baton Rouge’s “River Road Recipes III: A Healthy Collection”
8 medium mirlitons
1/3 cup minced onions
2/3 cup chopped green onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2/3 cup defatted chicken or seafood broth, less salt
2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and chopped
¾ cup fresh bread crumbs, divided
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
¼ teaspoon liquid crab boil
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat
1. Cover mirlitons with water and boil until tender, about 1 hour.
2. Cool and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out tender pulp and reserve. Discard seeds and set shells aside for stuffing.
3. Sauté onions, green onions, garlic and parsley in oil for 5 minutes or until onions are clear. Add broth and shrimp and cook for 5 minutes. Add mirliton pulp, ½ cup bread crumbs, salt, pepper, Tabasco sauce and crab boil and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add ¼ cup more chicken or seafood broth if mixture is dry. Remove from heat and stir thoroughly.
5. Add egg, return to heat, and cook 1 minute. Fold in handpicked lump crabmeat.
6. Fill the mirliton shells and sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until bread crumbs are brown. May be prepared ahead of time as they freeze well.
Per serving: 150 calories; fat grams 3.7; % fat calories 22; saturated fat grams 0.6; cholesterol 121 mg; sodium 277 mg