Brussels Sprout Bites (with and without bacon)
Makes about 30 bite-size pieces. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
1 lb. bag fresh Brussels sprouts
½ cup salted water
Freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 slices bacon, if desired
1. Raise over rack to second position from top. Preheat oven to 450 F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
2. Cut dry tips from bottom of sprouts. Rinse and drain.
3. Place whole Brussels sprouts in 3-quart, microwavable dish. Add ½ cup salted water. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
4. Drain, then cut spouts in half. Turn upside down to drain on paper towel.
5. Place bacon in microwave and cook on HIGH for 1½ minutes to soften. Remove and set aside.
6. For sprouts with bacon: To weave bacon around sprouts, begin by spearing one end of the bacon on a skewer, add a sprout half then wrap bacon halfway around it (keep working near the pointed end). The bacon should make a wave pattern. When you’re finished you can push the sprouts and bacon further up the skewer. Place on baking sheet, brush with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan.
7. For sprouts without bacon: Place on baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with black pepper. Using a small spoon, drop a little melted butter in center of each half. Top with a pinch of Parmesan cheese.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 5-8 minutes or until browned (and bacon fully cooked).
To serve: Slide bacon/Brussels skewer onto a plate. You may have to cut the bacon between the Brussels sprouts and serve bacon piece with the sprout.