Yields 8 (1-cup) servings.
1 tbl. vegetable oil
2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 to 3 tsps. Tabasco sauce, or to taste
1/2 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
1 large chopped green pepper
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1. Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetable oil and chicken and cook until no longer pink when cut (3 to 5 minutes).
2. Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in an electric skillet).
3. Add tomatoes with juice, hot sauce, water or chicken broth, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper and salt.
4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Serve over hot, cooked rice or whole-wheat pasta.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 to 3 hours.
Cost: $6.08 per recipe; 76 cents per serving.