Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad
Serves 4. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
18-20 (about ½ pound) fresh Brussels sprouts, root end thinly sliced off, thoroughly rinsed and drained on a paper towel
1 apple (Gala, Granny Smith or Red Delicious), rinsed, dried and diced with the peel on
1 celery rib, chopped (about ½ cup)
1?3 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans (can also use almonds or walnuts)
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons sour cream
Pinch of sugar or sugar substitute if desired
Pinch of salt and black pepper
1. Rinse and dry Brussels sprouts. Use a mandolin, food processor with slicing blade or a sharp knife to cut sprouts crosswise into thin shreds. Or, if you want a chopped salad — use the chopping blade of the processor and with an “on” and “off” motion, cut until sprouts are chopped but not mushy. Place in mixing bowl.
2. By hand, dice apple with the peel on. Add to sprouts.
3. Remove strings from celery and slice into thin pieces. Add to sprouts and apples.
4. In separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and sour cream. Add a pinch of sugar or sugar substitute if desired. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Fold dressing into sprouts, apples and celery. I add the nuts right before serving or sprinkled over the top.
6. Add more mayonnaise, lemon juice or sour cream if it’s too dry.