Serves 8 to 12.
12 lasagna noodles
1 lb. fresh spinach
1 tbl. olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
3 cups ricotta cheese
1/2 cup pesto
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
B?chamel sauce (recipe follows)
1. Boil the lasagna noodles according to package directions and set aside.
2. While the lasagna noodles are cooking, wash the spinach, pull off stems and chop spinach. Heat the oil in a large skillet. Put in the minced garlic and spinach and cook until spinach is wilted.
3. In a food processor, put in the ricotta, pesto, eggs, Parmesan and salt and pepper and process until well mixed. Drain spinach, squeezing out excess liquid, drop in the food processor and process again until mixed.
4. To assemble, spray a deep-dish lasagna pan with nonstick spray. Put in a layer of noodles, 1/3 the ricotta mixture, sprinkle with 1/3 the mozzarella and lightly spoon in 1/3 b?chamel sauce, smoothing the sauce over the cheeses. Repeat to make 3 layers and end with b?chamel. Sprinkle with extra Parmesan.
5. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes OR until top is brown and mixture is bubbling. Let sit for about 20 minutes before serving.
3 tbs. butter
4 tbls. flour
3 cups milk
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup grated Monterrey jack cheese
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and stir in flour. Mix well and add the milk and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in cheeses and turn off heat. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.