Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion Tarts
Makes one 9-inch tart or four mini tarts. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
For the 9-inch crust:
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
1 yellow onion
4 ounces chevre (goat’s cheese), softened
1 tablespoon local honey
1 tablespoon half-and-half or milk
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. To make the crust, cut coconut oil into the flour and salt until mixture is crumbly.
3. Add water one tablespoon at a time, stirring until the dough is moist and pulls away from the bowl.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4-inch thick.
5. Place in a buttered 9-inch tart or pie pan and bake 10 minutes. Let cool in the pan.
6. To make the filling, slice the onion into rings or half rings. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until dark brown, but not burned. Remove from heat to cool.
7. Beat the eggs then whisk in the softened cream cheese, honey, half-and-half or milk, salt and pepper. Stir in the cooled caramelized onions.
8. Pour into pie crusts and bake for 10 minutes or until set in the middle.
9. Serve tarts warm with local muscadine jam or fig preserves.