Coffee Braised Short Ribs
Makes 6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 pounds beef short ribs
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons butter (½ stick)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1½ cups beef broth
1 cup strong coffee
1 onion, cut into rings
8 ounces mushrooms (optional)
1. Whisk together flour, pepper and salt. Dredge the ribs in the flour to coat.
2. Melt the oil and butter in a Dutch oven. Brown the short ribs in batches about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove ribs and drain on a paper towels.
3. Roast garlic in the pot. Deglaze the pot with the broth and coffee and heat to boiling.
4. Reduce to simmer and return the ribs to the pot. Top with onion and mushrooms.
5. Cook covered for 1 to 2 hours or until beef is tender and falls off the bones. Serve when ready.