Serves 5 to 6.
5 or 6 medium yellow squash, sliced into 1/4-inch slices (cut larger circles in half if desired)
Water for steaming
1/2 tsp. salt
3 to 4 tbls. butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
2 cups fresh corn cut from cob
Salt, black (or white) pepper and pinch of cayenne, to taste
Crumbled crisp bacon, for garnish, optional
Grated cheddar cheese, optional
1. Add about 1 inch of water in bottom of medium saucepan; add 1/2 tsp. salt.
2. Add squash, cover and bring to boil. Cook only for a minute or two. You want the squash heated through but not cooked and soggy. Remove from pan and drain.
3. Meanwhile, in separate skillet, melt butter and sauté onion and bell pepper. When the onion and bell pepper begin to soften, add the corn. Season lightly with salt, black or white pepper and a pinch of cayenne.
4. Add cooked squash, stir and taste for seasoning. Correct if necessary. Continue cooking until squash and corn are cooked.
5. At serving time, a garnish of crumbled bacon and grated cheese can be passed, if desired.