Candy Pears (Dipped in Dark Chocolate and Chopped Nuts)
Makes 12 candied pears. Recipe is by Helana Brigman.
1 cup chopped pecans
1 (16-oz.) bag dark chocolate
2 tbls. heavy cream
12 ripe Asian pears, washed
1. Place chopped pecans in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Fill a saucepan 1?3 of the way full with water. Heat over medium-high until right before the water boils. Remove saucepan from heat and cover with a metal bowl. Fill metal bowl with chocolate and heavy cream. Wait while the chocolate melts slowly, but do not stir. Monitor chocolate’s temperature with a thermometer, keeping the temperature between 115 F and 125 F. Be careful not to exceed this temperature or the chocolate will begin to release an oily layer and separate.
3. Right when the chocolate has mostly melted, stir chocolate with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
4. When the chocolate is fully melted, slowly dip each Asian pear into the chocolate, turning it quickly in circular rounds until the bottom is fully covered. Transfer pear to the bowl of chopped pecans and cover its bottom in desired amount of nuts.
5. Place pear on a tray covered in wax paper. Repeat Step 4 until all pears are coated.
6. Refrigerate pears for at least 30 minutes and serve.