Bread and Butter Pickles
Makes 8-10 pint jars. Recipe is by Tony Yokley.
4 quarts medium cucumbers, cut into 1/8-inch slices
6 medium white onions, sliced
2 green peppers, chopped
4 cloves garlic, diced
1/3 cup coarse medium salt or kosher salt
5 cups sugar
3 cups cider vinegar
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon celery seed
2 tablespoons of mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pickling lime, optional
1. In a large pan, place cucumbers, onions, green peppers and garlic.
2. Add salt and mix thoroughly. Cover with a few cups of ice and place in refrigerator for three hours.
3. Drain and rinse well.
4. Combine remaining ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the cucumber mixture to pot and bring back to a boil.
5. Fill sterilized jars, adding pickles first, then adding liquid to cover the pickles leaving ½-inch space at the top. Wipe rims clean with paper towels.
6. Cover with sterilized lids and rings (according to manufacturer’s directions).
7. Immerse jars in hot water bath for 15 minutes.
8. Remove from water and allow to cool.
For crisper pickles, add ½ teaspoon pickling lime when filling jars.