From Michelle and Camille Nesbit
Yields 1 cake, serving 8 to 12.
8 ozs. unsalted butter, plus additional butter for lining the pan
8 ozs. semisweet chocolate
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
6 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and line a 9-inch pan with foil and then butter the foil.
2. Microwave butter in a microwave-safe bowl until completely melted. Stir in the chocolate and let sit a minute then stir until melted.
3. Combine the sugar and cornstarch, then stir into the chocolate mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs until well combined then stir them into the chocolate mixture. Pour this into the prepared pan then bake in a bain marie (water bath, or larger pan filled with enough water to come 2/3 the way up the smaller pan) for 40 to 45 minutes. Turn off oven and allow to cool in oven.
5. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before removing from pan. Ice the cooled cake with the chocolate whipped cream and decorate with extra melted chocolate.
Chocolate Whipped Cream:
1 pint whipping cream
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, melted
Whip the cream until stiff. Fold in the confectioner’s sugar and melted chocolate.
Note: Make sure the chocolate is not hot, but closer to room temperature. The best way to melt chocolate is in a microwaveable bowl and microwave on the defrost setting. Check the chocolate every 40 seconds or so. Once the chocolate melts, let it sit a minute or 2 before stirring.