Profiterols With Coffee Rum Sauce
Serves 8. Recipe is from the National Coffee Association.
For the puffs:
2 cups boiling water
1?8 tsp. salt
1 cup butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1. Bring the water to a boil in a medium-sized sauce pan. Add salt and butter and stir until the butter has melted. Reduce heat. Add flour and beat the mixture until it comes away from the sides of the pan and forms a smooth ball in the center.
2. Remove from heat and add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Using a dessert spoon, shape the puffs and place them on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Remove puffs from the oven and let cool. Slice off the top of each puff and fill the cavity with cream. Arrange puffs in the shape of a pyramid.
For the cream:
2 cups heavy cream, whipped
4 tbls. strong cold coffee
Sugar, to taste
Slowly add the cold coffee to the whipped cream and fold in well. Sweeten to taste.
For the coffee rum sauce:
1 cup sugar
11/2 cups strong coffee
2 tbls. cornstarch
3 tbls. cold coffee
2 tbls. butter
2 tbls. rum
1. Slowly melt sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Gradually add strong coffee, continuing to stir constatly until the sugar is completely dissolved.
2. In a small bowl, stir the cornstarch into the cold coffee and combine with heated mixture. Cook combined ingredients until they boil and thicken. Remove from heat. Add butter and rum. Stir until butter melts. Let cool to room temperature. Pour over pyramid of puffs.