Makes about 2 dozen large brownies. Recipe is adapted from Ina Garten’s “The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.”
1 pound unsalted butter
1 pound semisweet chocolate chips
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
1 tablespoon or more pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
12 ounces bittersweet or milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour a 12-inch-by-18-inch-by-1-inch baking sheet.
2. Melt together butter, 1 pound semisweet chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, stir (don’t beat) together eggs, coffee granules, vanilla and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the nuts and 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate mixture. Pour into the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force air to escape from between the pan and the dough. Bake for about 15 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Don’t overbake! Cool thoroughly. Refrigerate and cut into squares.