Ashley’s Overnight Breakfast Casserole
Serves 8. Dr. Ashley Lucas shared this recipe with me. She brought it as a hostess gift to her friend who was hosting a big Saturday night football get-together.
1 lb. bulk sausage (Jimmy Dean “hot”)
1 small onion, chopped
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dry mustard
Pepper to taste
6 slices bread, cubed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Lightly spray 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick coating and set aside.
2. In medium skillet, sauté sausage and onion together until meat is cooked and no longer pink. Drain well.
3. In large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, half-and-half, salt, dry mustard and pepper to taste.
4. Add the cubed bread and cooked sausage. Stir to combine and pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. I write on an attached card or on the foil: “Take out ½ hour before baking. Bake at 325 F for 45 minutes, uncovered.”
5. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh fruit of your choice.