Vichyssoise (Leek and Potato Soup)
Serves 6-8. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
4 tbls. butter
3 or 4 small leeks, white part sliced into ½-inch rounds
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
4 cups chicken broth (1 quart)
1 tsp. salt or to taste
½ tsp. white pepper or desired amount of black pepper
1 cup heavy cream
Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
1. In Dutch oven, melt butter then add chopped leeks. Cook until leeks begin to soften.
2. Add potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
3. Puree mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor; or using a submersible blender, blend mixture in pot. I like it blended but with a little texture remaining.
4. Add cream to the blended vegetable mixture. Taste for seasoning and correct if necessary. Refrigerate until ready to serve and, if serving warm, do not let it boil.
5. Top each serving with a sprinkle of fresh chives.