Warm Bacon Kale Salad
Makes 6-8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1 bunch kale, curly or flat leaf
3 slices of bacon
1 red sweet pepper, chopped
½ red onion, chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon cane/red wine vinegar
8 lemon wedges
1. Wash and dry the kale and cut the leaves away from the main stalk.
2. Cook the bacon in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Remove the slices and let drain on a paper towel. Reserve the drippings in the skillet.
3. Add the chopped pepper and onion to the pan and cook until just tender.
4. Add the kale and cook until wilted to about half the size and bright green. Crumble the bacon into the kale and add seasonings, sugar and vinegar.
5. Serve immediately with a lemon wedge for squeezing onto the salad just before eating. Add shrimp, chicken or steak, if desired.