Fusilli With Italian Sausage, Peas and Creamy Tomato Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3/4 pound loose sweet or hot Italian sausage
28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2/3 cup heavy cream
12 ounces fusilli pasta
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
3 ounces finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Shredded fresh basil, to garnish
1. In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring 6 quarts of water to a boil.
2. While the water is heating, in a large skillet over medium, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a spoon and stirring, until the sausage is just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the cream and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add the 2 tablespoons of salt and the pasta to the pot of water. Stir well and boil the pasta, following the instructions on the back on the package, until almost but not quite al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta cooking water, and add it to the skillet, along with the peas and half of the cheese.
5. Simmer until the pasta is al dente, adding some of the pasta cooking water if necessary to thin the sauce to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, then divide between 4 serving bowls. Top each portion with some of the remaining cheese and the basil.
Nutrition information per serving: 1,040 calories; 510 calories from fat (49 percent of total calories); 56 g fat (24 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 140 mg cholesterol; 96 g carbohydrate; 12 g fiber; 18 g sugar; 40 g protein; 2,360 mg sodium.