Family recipe: Here’s a recipe that comes from Walker’s Organic Dairy.
Although it doesn’t use the farm’s organic milk, it’s a Walker family favorite and is made with squash, one of the vegetables they grow in their garden.
2 cups yellow squash, peeled, boiled, well drained and mashed
1 cup flour
2 tsps. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 stick butter
5 egg yokes (save the whites if you’d like to top with an optional meringue)
1/4 cup granulated sugar for optional meringue topping
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees.
2. Mix first six ingredients together with egg yolks until well blended and spread into a square casserole or baking dish.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
4. For optional meringue topping, in a cold aluminum or copper bowl, beat egg whites until frothy then add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
5. Remove casserole from oven after about 25 minutes of cook time and spread meringue evenly atop casserole. Lower temperature to 325 degrees and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown on top.