Broccoli, Bacon and Grape Salad With Quinoa
Serves 6 to 8. Recipe is from Brooke Schoonenberg, registered dietitian at Woman’s Hospital, who says batches of quinoa, a complete protein, can be prepared, refrigerated and used as needed. She advises using Greek yogurt due to its high-protein content.
1/2 lb. nitrite-free bacon
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3/4 cup slivered almonds
1/4 cup honey
2 tbls. apple cider vinegar
1 cup low-fat or nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 large head fresh broccoli, chopped (may substitute 12-oz. bag of broccoli slaw)
11/2 cups red seedless grapes, halved
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup minced green onions
1/4 cup diced red onion
1. Place bacon in a large skillet. Cook, turning once, over medium-high heat, until evenly browned. Drain and cool, then crumble.
2. Combine 1 cup rinsed quinoa with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover with lid and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with a fork.
3. Preheat oven to 300 F. Spread slivered almonds on a cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once during toasting. Let cool.
4. In bowl, mix together honey, vinegar and Greek yogurt. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine broccoli (or broccoli slaw), crumbled bacon, halved grapes, toasted almonds, 2 cups cooked quinoa (more or less as desired) and yogurt mixture. You may also add celery, green onions and red onions if desired. Chill for several hours before serving.