French Onion Soup
Serves 6. Recipe is from Corinne Cook.
4 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoons flour
2 (14.5-ounce) cans condensed beef broth
1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
Taste for salt, add if needed
¼ to ½ cup dry sherry or white wine
4 ounces Swiss, Gruyere, Provolone or mozzarella cheese
French bread, cut into 6 (3/4-inch-thick slices); butter one side
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Peel and cut onions into thin slices to measure 4 cups.
2. In Dutch oven, melt butter and add olive oil. Add onions and stir to coat. Cook uncovered 10 minutes or until onions are soft, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until onions are well browned.
3. Stir in the flour until well combined. Gradually add beef broth.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add sherry or wine. Heat until mixture comes to a boil; reduce heat and keep at a slow simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, grate cheese and set aside.
6. Move oven racks to about 5 inches from heating element. Set oven control to broil.
7. On cookie sheet place bread, buttered side down. Broil until golden; turn and broil other side. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
8. To serve, ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Float a piece of toast on top.
9. Sprinkle toast and soup with Parmesan cheese, then top with grated Swiss, Gruyere, Provolone or mozzarella cheese.
10. Carefully set bowls of soup on cookie sheet and place under boiler to melt and slightly brown the cheese. Watch carefully.