Serves 4 to 6. Recipe is from Maureen Detweiler of New Orleans.
1 large or 2 small eggplants (1½ to 2 pounds all together)
Creamed Spinach (see recipe)
8 ounces sliced or grated Swiss cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Peel eggplant if you wish. Slice across into about 12 half-inch slices. Sprinkle slices with seasoned salt and dust lightly with flour, shaking off excess.
3. In a skillet, brown slices in olive oil quickly on high. Set aside.
4. Prepare Creamed Spinach. Place half the eggplant slices in a layer in a shallow baking dish. Top with half the Creamed Spinach and half the Swiss cheese. Repeat. Bake for 30 minutes.
¼ cup butter
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
¼ cup milk or cream
1 pound chopped fresh or thawed and drained frozen spinach
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat the butter until it is light brown.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir constantly on low until spinach is tender, about 5 minutes.