Dungeness Crab Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Serves 1. Excerpted from “The Jersey Shore Cookbook” by Deborah Smith. Reprinted with permission from Quirk Books. Credit: Dominique Filoni, Avenue Restaurant, Long Branch, New Jersey. Served chilled, this refreshing salad epitomizes summertime with the freshest ingredients available. Make it just for yourself or mix up a larger batch to share with friends and family.
2½ ounces chopped romaine hearts (about 1 2/3 cups)
1½ tablespoons Lemon Vinaigrette (see below), divided
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2½ ounces Dungeness crab meat
1 tablespoon diced heirloom baby tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped seedless cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped avocado
1 teaspoon thinly sliced chives
1 teaspoon chopped Italian parsley
2 leaves romaine hearts, for garnish
Coarsely ground black pepper, to finish
1. In a small mixing bowl, toss chopped romaine with ½ tablespoon of the vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper. Place romaine on the bottom of a serving bowl.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine crab, tomato, cucumber, avocado, chives, and parsley. Season with remaining vinaigrette, adjusting salt and pepper if necessary. Place mixture on top of chopped romaine.
3. Insert romaine leaves between the bowl and salad, like rabbit ears. Finish with a sprinkle of black pepper and serve immediately.
Makes about 4 cups.
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup plus 4 teaspoons sweet wine vinegar (such as Banyuls)
3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice and vinegar. Slowly pour in oil and mix all ingredients with a high-speed immersion blender. Season to your liking with salt and pepper.
2. Refrigerate in a plastic container for up to 10 days.