Serves 8. Recipe by Patricia Agnew is from Southern Living.
1 cup sugar, divided
2½ cups skim milk
3 large eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Sprinkle ½ cup sugar in a 9-inch round cake pan. Cook over medium-high heat, shaking pan occasionally using oven mitts, until sugar melts and turns a pale golden brown; set aside. (Mixture may crack slightly as it cools.)
3. Heat milk and remaining ½ cup sugar in a heavy saucepan, stirring constantly, until hot and frothy.
4. Beat eggs, egg whites, canned pumpkin, cinnamon and vanilla at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended; gradually add hot milk mixture, beating at low speed. Pour mixture over caramelized sugar and place cake pan in a roasting pan. Pour hot water into roasting pan to a depth of 1 inch.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in center of flan comes out clean.
6. Remove pan from water; cool on a wire rack. Cover and chill.
7. Bake coconut in a shallow pan at 350 F, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until toasted. Cool.
8. Loosen edges of flan with a spatula, and invert onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with coconut.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 182 calories, 2.9 grams fat, 84 milligrams cholesterol, 92 milligrams sodium.