Individual Upside-Down Cakes
Makes 8 small cakes. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
8 teaspoons melted butter, divided
8 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
1 cup crushed pineapple, divided
¼ cup butter
2?3 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1½ cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
Whipped cream, if desired for garnish
8 cherries or strawberries, if desired for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease 8 glass baking cups.
2. In each baking cup, add 1 teaspoon butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoons crushed pineapple. Set aside.
3. For the cake layer: With electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until well combined.
4. Sift flour then add baking powder. Whisk to blend together.
5. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to the butter mixture.
6. Fold in vanilla and divide batter between prepared baking cups.
7. Bake in 375 F oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake layer comes out clean.
8. Gently loosen edges and turn upside down on dessert plate while hot.
9. Garnish tops with small dollop of whipped cream and a fresh cherry or strawberry.