German Chocolate Pie
Serves 8-10. This rich pie filling is put into a pre-baked pie shell. Dollops of whipped cream can be placed on top or added when serving. Recipe adapted by Corinne Cook.
1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked and cooled
½ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk, divided
1 (4-ounce) Baker’s German’s Sweet Chocolate Baking Bar (48 percent cacao), broken into squares
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
¾ cup chopped pecans plus 2 tablespoons for garnishing if desired
Whipped cream, if desired for topping
1. . In small mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt. Stir dry ingredients together and then slowly stir in ½ cup milk, making a smooth paste. Set aside.
3. In medium saucepan, scald remaining 1½ cups milk. When heated, add the chocolate squares and stir until melted.
4. Stir in the reserved flour, sugar and milk mixture. Heat over medium/high heat, stirring constantly until mixture is hot, then reduce heat and continue stirring and cooking until chocolate bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat.
5. In small bowl, beat egg yolks; stir and temper yolks by adding a very small amount of the chocolate mixture to the eggs; stir and add a bit more of the chocolate mixture until eggs are heated but not scrambled.
6. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the chocolate mixture and continue heating, over low heat, for an additional 2 or 3 minutes or until the mixture begins to bubble again.
7. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, coconut and ¾ cup chopped pecans. Cool.
8. Pour cooled chocolate mixture into baked pie shell. Chill thoroughly.
9. Top pie with dollops of whipped cream and a sprinkle of the remaining 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or garnish each serving individually.