No exact measurements or amounts listed; depending on how large or small you make the sandwiches. Recipe is from Cornelia Weldon. These are best made the day you will serve them.
1 loaf white bread
8 ozs. cream cheese, room temperature
2 to 4 tbls. powdered sugar
Juice of ½ small fresh lemon, optional
1 tsp. half-and-half, add more as needed
l lb. fresh strawberries, hulled, rinsed, dried and thinly sliced
Whole berries for garnish, if desired
Mint sprig for garnish, if desired
1. For quarters, triangles or fingers, remove crust from bread. You will fill the sandwiches then cut whole sandwich into desired shape. After removing crust, put bread in plastic bag to keep from drying out while getting filling ready.
2. For rounds: Using small biscuit cutter, cut 3 or 4 rounds from each slice of bread. Store rounds wrapped until ready to make sandwiches.
3. With mixer, blend cream cheese with desired amount of powdered sugar. Add fresh lemon juice and just enough half-and-half to make mixture spreadable. Do not make it too thin. Set aside.
4. In small bowl, thinly slice washed and dried strawberries. Set aside
5. To assemble: Spread a layer of flavored cream cheese on bottom slice of sandwich. Top cream cheese with layer of sliced strawberries. Spread a little of the cream cheese on the top bread piece and place it facing the sliced strawberries. Press gently, then cut and place on platter. The round sandwiches are made individually.
6. Garnish tops with small berry slice and a piece of mint leaf if desired. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. These are best at room temperature. Instead of individual garnishes, platter can be decorated with whole berries and mint sprig.