Makes about 12 standard-size muffins. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1½ cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup sugar
½ tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. cloves
1 (8-oz.) can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup shredded carrots (about 3 thin carrots)
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 extra-large eggs, beaten
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease 12-count muffin tin OR line muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Whisk dry ingredients around to blend them and set aside.
3. In another medium bowl, add the crushed pineapple and juice, carrots and nuts. Stir to blend and set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add oil and vanilla and whisk again until thoroughly blended. Add the dry ingredients and the carrot mixture to the egg mixture. Stir until all is moistened and stirred together.
5. Spoon into prepared pan, filling about ¾ full. Place in preheated oven and bake for about 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
6. Remove from oven. After 3-4 minutes, turn muffins on their sides in the pan, that way the bottoms won’t be soggy. Serve warm or at room temperature. Delicious served with coffee and a cup of fruit, yogurt, melon or a drizzle of honey.