Lemon Celebration Cake
Recipe is from “Kay Ewing’s Cooking School Cookbook: The Final Course.”
I didn’t tint with food coloring since I was doing a red, white and blue theme. Serve the cake with sliced or whole fruit, if desired.
1 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 cup sour cream
½ teaspoon vanilla, if desired
2 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 drop yellow food coloring, if desired
Decorative sprinkles or fresh fruit
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease Bundt pan and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, until well-mixed.
4. Add lemon zest, baking powder and salt.
5. Mix in flour alternately with the sour cream until blended.
6. Add vanilla, if desired.
7. Pour into pan and bake for 50 minutes or until tested done.
8. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and place on wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
9. In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar, lemon juice and food coloring to a smooth consistency.
10. Spoon glaze all over cake (I spooned it on thickly over the top and let it drip down the sides).
11. Top with decorative sprinkles or fruit.