Pineapple Strawberry Cake
Makes 1 (8- or 9-inch layer). Serves 6. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
6 tablespoons butter, divided
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
¼ cup brown sugar
2?3 cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ cups flour
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup milk or pineapple juice
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup whipping cream, whipped, or more to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and pour into baking pan. Pour crushed pineapple and brown sugar into pan and stir gently to dissolve brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In mixer bowl, stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter and 2/3 cup sugar together until fluffy.
4. Add egg and beat until well combined.
5. Whisk baking powder, flour and salt together in small bowl. Add these dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir and mix until well blended.
6. Pour over pineapple in prepared pan.
7. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
8. Cool 5 minutes and turn out onto serving platter.
9. Cut into squares and serve with sliced strawberries and whipped cream over the top.