Serves 10. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
2 tbls. butter plus some to grease casserole dish
1 tbl. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced red or green bell pepper
1 (14.75-oz.) can cream-style corn
Whole milk (Using the empty can from the corn, fill it with milk ¼-inch from top.)
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn (add frozen, if desired)
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 tsp. salt
Generous dash of Tabasco Sauce or pinch of cayenne pepper
Canned onion rings, optional
1. Grease or butter a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. In large skillet add 2 tablespoons butter and vegetable oil. Sauté vegetables until tender but not mushy.
3. Remove from heat and stir in cream-style corn, frozen whole kernels. Stir to mix.
4. Add beaten egg, cornmeal, salt and Tabasco or cayenne. Stir just to blend then pour into buttered baking dish.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until set and lightly browned on top.
6. If desired, sprinkle canned onion rings over the top of the cooked pudding, then put it back in the oven until the onion rings are heated.