Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) layer cake. Recipe is from Irma M. Stiegler, of New Orleans.
1 cup sugar
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon soda
Pinch salt (I used ¼ teaspoon)
¾ boiling water (see Testing Note)
2 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix sugar, mayonnaise, cocoa powder, vanilla, soda and salt. Add water and flour alternately.
3. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured (8-inch) cake pans. (Or, line the pans with baking parchment to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan.) Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
4. Cool 5 minutes in pan, then turn out and cool completely on wire racks. Frost with Chocolate Frosting or favorite frosting.
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick butter, softened
1 tablespoon cold coffee
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Combine all ingredients in bowl and beat until smooth.
2. Fill and frost tops and sides of cake.