Sweet Basil Pesto
Recipe is by Joe and Shelly Forte.
7 to 8 garlic cloves, peeled (or to taste)
1 cup pine nuts (can use raw almonds, walnuts or pecans to change up the taste)
Juice of 2 medium lemons
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
41/2 to 5 cups of packed fresh Italian basil (we use basil from Red Maple Farm at the Hammond Farmers Market)
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
Crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Place peeled garlic cloves in food processor and pulse until chopped.
2. Add pine nuts, juice of lemons, salt and pepper and process for about 1 minute, until smooth.
3. Add Parmesan and process for another minute, until smooth.
4. Add fresh basil and pulse until incorporated into pine nut mixture.
5. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while processing to desired consistency.
6. Add crushed red pepper to taste.
Pesto will keep in a sealed jar for 10-14 days or can be frozen for up to 3 months. Use as base for pizzas or as a sauce to toss with pasta dishes or spread on crackers.