Serves 8 to 10. Recipe is by Marilyn Cothren; adapted by Julie Kay.
1?3 cup canola oil
1?3 cup honey
2½ cups old-fashioned oats
½ cup sliced almonds
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup coconut
½ cup sunflower seed kernels
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond flavoring
½ cup dried cranberries, optional
1. Heat oil and honey in microwave for 1½ minutes. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil/honey mixture and mix well.
2. Grease the inside of the slow cooker stoneware with a little canola oil or vegetable spray.
3. Put the granola mixture into slow cooker and cook on Low for 1½ hours. Remove lid; stir and turn cooker to High for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until mixture begins to crisp. Stir every half hour or so to promote crispness and distribute heat more evenly.
4. Remove; cool and add ½ cup dried cranberries, if desired.
5. Serve over yogurt or oatmeal or whatever else you would like to pair granola with.