Susie’s Bread Pudding
Serves 12. Recipe is from Amy Whitley.
2 pints heavy cream
1 pint half-and-half
3 cups sugar
4 dashes each of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 brioche or challah bread cut into cubes
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 cup rum
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-inch-by-13-inch pan with nonstick vegetable spray or spread lightly with butter.
2. Thoroughly mix heavy cream, half-and-half, eggs and sugar. Add spices, vanilla and butter.
3. Carefully fold in bread last. Do not over stir. If it appears too dry, add additional ½ cup milk.
4. Bake for 1 hour.
5. Prepare rum sauce: Melt butter and sugar in saucepan. Add water and, finally, rum. (Note: If you prefer, you can add a small amount of shaved white chocolate and cream to the sauce and omit the rum.)
6. Pour rum sauce over individual servings of bread pudding. This dessert is best served immediately from the oven as it tends to “fall” after being out of the oven for some time.