Makes 1 (9-inch) omelet, 4 to 6 servings. A baked omelet is one of the easiest ways to make eggs. While the omelet is baking, your hands are free to make toast or another side dish, and the kids can help set the table.
4 cups baby spinach leaves, washed thoroughly
1 tbl. olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
6 large eggs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbls. low-fat milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup shredded Swiss or Cheddar cheese or crumbled feta or goat cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate.
2. Kids:?Remove the stems from the spinach leaves.
3. Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add the spinach in batches, cooking and stirring until all the leaves are wilted. Remove from heat.
4. Kids: Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, Parmesan cheese, milk, salt and pepper.
5. Spread the spinach mixture over the bottom of the pie plate.
6. Kids: With the help of an adult, pour the egg mixture over the spinach. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
7. Bake 20 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned on top. Cut into segments to serve.
Tips: For added flavor, crumble a little cooked turkey bacon into the egg mixture before baking.
You can substitute an equal amount of torn-up regular spinach leaves, kale or Swiss chard for the baby spinach leaves.