2 lbs. fresh salmon fillets, skinned
1/2 cup chopped green onions, tops and bottoms
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbl. lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tsps. hot sauce (we prefer Tabasco)
1/4 tsp. dill weed
2 cups Rice Krispies
1. From the salmon fillets, trim away any of the dark bits that may have been left behind from the skin as this tends to give the salmon a strong flavor. Pull out any of the remaining pin bones.
2. Using a sharp knife, chop up the salmon into a fine dice and place it into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add in the chopped green onions, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, hot sauce, and dill weed, and gently mix to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, slightly beat the egg then pour into the salmon mixture.
5. Using your hands, gently mix in the egg and the cereal to bind everything together. (The mixture will be a little loose.)
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and divide the salmon mixture into six patties. Place the patties on the baking sheet and place them in the freezer for 30 to 40 minutes to make sure they hold their form while grilling.
7. To grill the salmon burgers, preheat the grill to medium-high heat and lightly coat the grates with olive oil.
8. Grill the burgers for 4 to 5 minutes per side depending on their thickness. Serve immediately topped with Avocado a?oli.
Kitchen Helpers: If salmon isn’t a fish your family is accustomed to, this recipe is a great one to try out. The burgers are not too fishy, and are extremely tender and flavorful. Have your kids help make sure that all of the pin bones are out of the fish. Once you have diced the fillets, you can also let your children mix all the other ingredients and form the mixture into patties.