Makes 6 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
1 (3-pound) chicken
1 tablespoon dry brine
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning with sage
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ small onion
½ cup water
3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
1. The night before cooking, remove any giblets from the chicken’s cavity and rinse inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub the dry brine over the chicken and store in a jumbo Ziploc bag until you are ready to cook it.
2. Preheat oven to 500 F.
3. Season the chicken with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Cut the orange and onion into wedges. Place in a shallow glass dish. Steep in ½ cup water in the microwave for 3 minutes. Add to the chicken cavity along with the rosemary sprigs.
5. Roast the chicken uncovered for 15 minutes to brown, then loosely cover with foil and reduce heat to 425 F. Roast the chicken for 1 to 1½ hours, or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reads 165 F.
6. Let the chicken rest 10 minutes covered in foil. Remove the aromatics, carve and serve.