Ham and Egg Strata
Serves 8 to 12. Recipe is from the files of Corinne Cook, who says she’s not sure where it came from originally.
5 tablespoons butter, divided
2½ to 3 cups ham, cut bite size OR 1 (1/2-inch thick) ham steak, browned and cut into bite-size pieces
About 5 cups French bread (1/2 large loaf French bread), cut into bite-size cubes
½ cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 cups Colby and Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
8 large eggs
1¾ cup milk
¼ cup white wine
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt to taste
About ¼ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
1?8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet and over medium-high heat quickly heat the ham until the edges darken; remove and set aside.
2. Place bread cubes in 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish to form a bottom layer.
3. Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in microwave and drizzle melted butter over bread cubes.
4. Sprinkle ham pieces over bread, then the green onions, chopped parsley and shredded cheese.
5. In separate bowl, whisk eggs with milk, wine, mustard, salt, and black and cayenne peppers until well blended. Pour egg mixture over bread.
6. Using a spoon, make 12 little mounds of sour cream over the top of the casserole.
7. Cover casserole with foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
8. Preheat oven to 325 F. Bake covered casserole for 1 hour. Remove from oven and sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the top and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Cut into squares and serve hot.