Fresh Tomato Linguini
Makes 4 servings. This recipe is from Florida Tomato Growers and Family Features.com. Select your favorite brand of linguini or pick a pasta shape of your choice. Use this recipe as a side dish or add any seafood to make it a main course if you like.
2 pounds ripe tomatoes
½ cup olive oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound whole wheat linguini (or your favorite pasta)
½ bunch fresh basil, hand torn or 1 tablespoon dried
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Wash and rinse tomatoes then dry. Core and cut in half. Use a spoon to remove most of the seeds. Chop tomatoes coarsely.
2. Add tomatoes to a colander, sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and let them sit so they can release some of their water. This should only take a half an hour, and can be done ahead of time.
3. Combine drained tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and garlic in a large sauté pan. Heat tomato mixture over low heat. The idea is to warm the mixture, not cook it.
4. Cook and drain pasta according to directions on package.
5. Combine pasta and tomato mixture together in a bowl. Add fresh basil and parmesan.
6. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. Serve warm with crusty bread or chill for later.