Chocolate Angel Food (Cake or Dessert)
Serves 8 to 12. Recipe is by Corinne Cook.
1 small angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3¼ cups) OR 1 (16-oz) angel food cake mix prepared according to directions on box OR from angel food cake recipe (see recipe below)
1 (12-ounce) bag semisweet chocolate chips
4 eggs, separate yolks and whites in separate bowls
2 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoons Grand Marnier
2?3 to 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Hershey’s Chocolate Syrup for garnish, if desired
Fresh berry for garnish, if desired
1. Prepare cake by dicing into bite-size pieces if using purchased cake. If you made a cake from scratch or from a mix; when it’s thoroughly cooled, slice cake into 3 layers, using a serrated knife. Set aside.
2. Chocolate Cream: Melt chocolate according to package directions either on cook top or in microwave. Do not let chocolate get too hot. Remove from heat and stir until all morsels are melted.
3. In medium bowl, using a whisk beat egg yolks until fluffy. Slowly add a little melted chocolate to the beaten egg yolks while constantly whisking. Add and whisk remainder of chocolate to yolks, blending well.
4. Add vanilla or Grand Marnier. Set aside.
5. Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Place in clean bowl and set aside.
6. Wash and dry mixer beaters. In clean bowl, with mixer whip cream until stiff peaks form.
7. Gently fold beaten egg whites and whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture until well blended.
8. Spread a layer of chocolate cream between cake layers and on top and sides of cake. Decorate sides and top with toasted, chopped pecans. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. If desired, garnish individual cake slices with syrup and a sliced fresh berry.
9. For diced angel food cake: Gently fold cake pieces into chocolate cream. Place in pretty bowl, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Top with chopped, toasted pecans.
Angel Food Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake. Recipe is from “Better Homes and Gardens Encyclopedia of Cooking.”
1 cup sifted cake flour
1½ cups sugar, divided
1½ cups (12) egg whites
1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
1½ teaspoons vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Sift flour and ¾ cup sugar together. Set aside.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt; continue beating until stiff enough to form soft peaks but still moist and glossy.
4. Add remaining ¾ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, continuing to beat till egg whites hold stiff peaks.
5. Sift about a fourth of the flour mixture over whites; fold in. Repeat, folding in remaining flour by fourths. Carefully spoon batter into cake ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Handle pan gently to not break air bubbles.
6. Bake in 375 F preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
7. Invert cake in pan and cool thoroughly before removing from pan.