Makes 4 servings. Recipe is from the “Potatoes Goodness Unearthed” calendar, published by United States Potato Board.
1½ lbs. russet potatoes
1½ tbls. vegetable oil
½ tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. Mexican seasoning blend (or substitute by adding a small pinch of oregano, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, paprika, etc.)
1 cup Mexican-blend, shredded, reduced-fat cheese
¼ cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
¼ cup diced tomatoes
¼ cup sliced black olives
¼ cup sliced green onions
3 tbls. canned sliced green chilies
Additional toppings to serve: salsa, guacamole and sour cream, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Scrub potatoes and cut into ½-inch thick wedges.
2. Place potatoes into a medium-size bowl with the oil, garlic salt and Mexican seasoning. Stir well to coat potatoes with oil and seasonings. Transfer to a large baking sheet and spread into a single layer.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring several times, until crisp and golden brown.
4. Top with cheese, beans, tomatoes, olives, onions and chilies. Bake for 5 more minutes to melt cheese.
5. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.