Avocado and Pistachio Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart. Recipe is reprinted with permission from “Can You Dig It: Louisiana’s Authoritative Collection of Vegetable Cookery” by chef John D. Folse and Michaela D. York.
2 large Hass avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup superfine sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups heavy whipping cream
½ cup finely chopped pistachios, divided
1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until lightly beaten, then set aside.
2. Cut avocados into chunks and process in a food processor or blender until fairly smooth. With machine running, add salt, sugar and lemon juice then continue processing until smooth. With machine running, slowly pour in cream, processing until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
3. Pour mixture into a 1-quart sauce pot over medium-high heat and cook 3-5 minutes or until heated thoroughly, whisking constantly.
4. Slowly blend hot cream mixture into egg mixture, one ladle at a time, whisking constantly to prevent eggs from scrambling.
5. Transfer to a metal bowl and cover. Place entire mixture in refrigerator and chill, preferably overnight. When cold, remove from refrigerator and uncover. Stir in ¼ cup pistachios, mixing well into mixture.
6. Freeze in a home-style ice cream freezer according to manufacturer’s directions. When ready to serve, sprinkle with remaining pistachios and enjoy.