The Covington Market is open rain or shine, from 8 a.m. to noon each Saturday on the side lawn of City Hall, 609 N. Columbia St. and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Wednesday at the Covington Trailhead, 419 N. New Hampshire.
This week’s cooking demonstration will feature Executive Chef Maurice Rouquette of La Maison in Abita Springs, who will prepare a fall specialty from the menu.
Call (985)892-1873 for information or go to http://www.covingtonfarmersmarket.org.
Red Stick Farmers’ Market
Editor’s note: The farmers’ markets vegetable and food product lists are featured every Thursday on The Advocate’s website, http://www.theadvocate.com, and on the first Thursday of each month in The Advocate’s Food section.
Fall produce, including pumpkins and winter squash, takes center stage at the Red Stick Farmers Market in downtown Baton Rouge Saturday.
The farmers’ market is held each Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon on Fifth Street between Main and North streets.
In the Fresh From the Market program, chef Nathan Gresham from Beausoleil Restaurant and Bar will join celebrity chef Celeste Gill for a cooking demonstration on how to use Louisiana’s seasonal ingredients for brunch menus.
The show begins at 10 a.m. Saturday in the North Street seating area inside the Main Street Market, which is in the Galvez Garage, also between Main and North streets with an entrance on Fifth Street.
The Thursday Mid-Week Market is held from 8 a.m. to noon, weather permitting, at 7248 Perkins Road in front of the Perkins Palm development, across from The Baton Rouge Clinic, between Essen Lane and Kenilworth Parkway.
Louisiana Purchase, credit and debit cards are now accepted at the Red Stick Farmers Market locations.
For information about the farmers’ markets, contact the Big River Economic and Agricultural Development Alliance, which sponsors the farmers’ market, at (225) 267-5060.
Area farmers and artisan food producers scheduled to be at Saturday’s Red Stick Farmers Market in downtown Baton Rouge include:
- Amato Louisiana Native Winery — Native Louisiana fruit wines and sausages.
- Belle Ècorce Farm — Goat cheeses, Swedish cheesecake, and chicken and duck eggs.
- Bocage Hoeny — Honey and beeswax products.
- Briarhill Farm — Chicken, quail, Cornish hen, bloody Mary mix, tomato relish and salsa.
- Cajun Grain — Jasmine brown and white rice, free-range pork meat and grass-fed beef meat.
- Chenier Farm — Okra, purple hull peas, cushaw and butternut squash.
- Delight Thyself — Homemade sweet pies and tarts.
- Dillard Teacakes — Homemade teacakes and sweet potato pies.
- Fekete Farm — Sweet potatoes, mustard greens, eggplant, spinach and yellow squash.
- Feliciana Greenhouses by Jimmy Hadden — Lettuces, sprouts and salad dressings.
- Fletcher Family Farms — Strawberries, strawberry syrup, strawberry jam and pepper jelly.
- Forte Grove Breads — Artisan breads, including dark rye and French sourdough country bread.
- Frances Chauvin Blue Ribbon Pies — Fruit pies and tarts, quiche, shoe soles and sugar-free tarts.
- Glaser Family Farm __ Pumpkins, mustard greens, green onions, and green bell peppers.
- Greenhand Nursery — Lettuce and winter green vegetable plants, herbs and spring vegetable seedlings.
- Huszar Family Farm — Cabbage, strawberries and green onions.
- Le Potager — Cheese and garlic biscuits, dark chocolate cake, and fruit scones and tarts.
- Louisiana shrimp — Lance Nacio with fresh, wild-caught shrimp.
- Mississippi Natural Products — Fresh and dried shiitake mushrooms and shiitake dust.
- Mizell Farm — Bedding plants and herbs.
- Mon Jardin Farm — Beets, red Russian kale, turnips, broccoli, collards, carrots and spinach.
- Morrow Family Farm — PUrple hull peas, crowder peas eggplants and cucumbers.
- Nur’s Kitchen — Cabbage stew, eggplant stuffed musakka and artichoke pie,
- Oakland Organics — Basil, radishes, crowder peas, cherry tomatoes and okra.
- Outlaw Katfish Kompany — Des Allemands wild-caught catfish and Louisiana seafood.
- Papa John Family Farm — Tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, spinach, basil, bell pepper, jams and jellies.
- Plantation Pecan — Roasted pecans, natural pecan halves and pieces, and pecan pies.
- Rico Family Farm — Persimmons, Ichiban eggplant, sweet peppers and sweet potatoes.
- Robinson Farms — Mustard greens, kale, okra, burgundy okra, purple hull peas, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, and patty pan squash.
- Rockin R Dairy Farm — Pasteurized goat milk and cheeses.
- SaySaye’s Village Bakery — Soups, breads, cinnamon rolls, savory and sweet tortes, and scones.