Serves 8. Recipe is from the family files of Jean Kay Brown.
1 hen or large fryer, cut up, visible fat removed (I tested recipe using Air-Chilled Smart Chicken, cut up)
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, about 1 cup, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3-4 ribs celery, chopped
½ bell pepper, chopped
1 (41.5-ounce) can whole or diced tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1(10-ounce) can RoTel Original diced tomatoes & green chilies
½ cup Chianti or good red wine
2 cups water or chicken broth
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1 teaspoon dried oregano
4 fresh basil leaves or ½ teaspoon dried basil
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
½ cup (or more) sliced black olives
1 (pound) package spaghetti of your choice, cooked and drained
Parmesan cheese for garnishing
1. Rinse and remove visible fat from chicken. Cut up chicken. Pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Brown seasoned chicken, a few pieces at a time, in a large, heavy pot with 2 tablespoons oil or in a large non-stick frying pan. Remove browned chicken to dish and set aside.
3. In same large pot or skillet, add onions, garlic, celery and bell pepper to pan drippings. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
4. Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, RoTel tomatoes, wine and 2 cups water or chicken broth.
5. Add the browned chicken to the pot, stir and bring to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat so mixture is simmering. Cook for 30 minutes.
6. Stir in chopped parsley, green onions, oregano, basil, mushrooms and black olives. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer an additional 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Taste for seasoning and correct if necessary. Add cayenne pepper if needed.
7. Serve chicken and sauce over cooked spaghetti. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.