Smoked Gouda Grits
Makes 8 servings. Recipe is by Teresa B. Day.
2 ¼ cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 garlic clove, chopped
½ cup quick-cooking grits
1 cup whipping cream
¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes, diced
½ teaspoon dried thyme (1 teaspoon fresh)
8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Bring broth, butter and garlic to boil in medium Dutch oven.
2. Gradually whisk in grits and return to boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 8 minutes until grits are thick and almost all broth is absorbed.
3. Whisk in cream; simmer until very thick, about 8 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, thyme, Gouda and bacon to grits. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake 15 minutes. Serve warm topped with green onions or a fried egg.