Eggplant With Soy Sauce
Serves 4 with other items. Recipe from The Advocate’s files was provided by Dongyan Zhang.
2 medium eggplants, unpeeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
5 cloves fresh garlic, crushed, divided
1?3 of a jalapeño pepper, sliced
2 slices ginger
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 carrot, peeled and cut in slices 1/2-inch thick and 1-inch long
1 green bell pepper, cut in 3/4-inch squares
1. Deep-fry the eggplant in vegetable oil until it is dark brown and soft. Drain the oil.
2. Heat 11/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a stir-fry pan until it smokes. Add 3 cloves of the crushed garlic, the jalapeño and ginger. Stir and add soy sauce, sugar and salt. Mix well.
3. Immediately add carrots and bell pepper and stir until soft, about 2 minutes.
4. Add fried eggplant. Gently mix, being careful not to break up eggplant, for about 1 minute.
5. Add the remaining 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Check for salt, adding more if necessary, and stir for about 30 seconds until you can smell the garlic.